A plate of our homemade gluten-free vegan Pepperoni pieces
I have actually been attempting to make vegan pepperoni for a while now. It’s been among those dishes I thought up and then struggled to excellent.
Yet, after numerous fell short attempts, I enjoy reporting I cracked the code!
Say goodbye to the days of vegetables-only pizza (not that there’s anything wrong with that said). Vegan pepperoni to the rescue!
Mixer with components for making our simple, delicious gluten-free vegan pepperoni recipe
For the base, I experimented with tofu, tempeh, as well as chickpeas, trying each independently and also mixed to locate the right texture.
While tempeh seemed to yield the best texture at first, when baked it obtains pretty dry and crumbly. The same chooses chickpeas.
Tofu, nevertheless, provides itself flawlessly to the appearance of pepperoni due to the fact that it cooks up beautifully and also holds it form!
Plus, it’s neutral in flavor as well as does a superb work at absorbing all of those pepperoni flavors.
Overall, this dish requires just 10 ingredients as well as collaborates in less than 1 hr! Some variations I tested needed greater than 1 complete day to prepare, but I recognized that had not been realistic.
I assume it’s quite remarkable that you can make this pepperoni from scratch for supper tonight! (Pats self on back).
What seasonings will you need? Superb inquiry!
A blend of sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, paprika, garlic powder, ground anise, fennel (this one’s vital!), ground mustard, and also coconut sugar for a little sweet taste.
I really did not have all of these spices on hand, and now that I have them, I can’t wait to try out various other uses.
Along with being fairly simple to make, these pepperoni are significantly healthier than their animal-based counterpart.
They’re really low in fat– less than 1 gram fat per pepperoni– and also relatively high in protein– about 1 gram healthy protein per pepperoni!
If you ate all the pepperonis (like I did), that would certainly be 30 g healthy protein.
For the base, I experimented with tofu, tempeh, and chickpeas, trying each individually and mixed to find the right texture.
While tempeh seemed to yield the right texture initially when baked it gets pretty dry and crumbly.
The same goes for chickpeas. Tofu, however, lends itself perfectly to the texture of pepperoni because it bakes up beautifully and holds its shape!
Plus, it’s neutral in flavor and does an excellent job of absorbing all of those pepperoni spices.
In total, this recipe requires just 10 ingredients and comes together in less than 1 hour! Some versions I tested required more than 1 full day to prepare, but I knew that wasn’t realistic.
What spices will you need? Excellent question!
A blend of sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, paprika, garlic powder, ground anise, fennel (this one’s important!), ground mustard, and coconut sugar for a little sweetness.
I didn’t have all of these spices on hand, but now that I have them, I can’t wait to experiment with other uses.
In addition to being relatively easy to make, these pepperoni are considerably healthier than their animal-based counterpart.
They’re very low in fat – less than 1 gram fat per pepperoni – and relatively high in protein – about 1 gram protein per pepperoni! If you ate all the pepperonis (like I did), that would be 30 g protein. That’s a lot of plant-based fuel!
This is the perfect topper for vegan as well as gluten-free pizzas, as well as deep dish, portobello, and also butternut!
I can additionally see these putting magnificently within calzones! The options are limitless.
I simply love that the structure is so close to the real point, and also they’re addictively salty and also spicy.
- 10 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2-3 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground anise
- 1 tsp A1 sauce or liquid smoke
- Cooking spray or olive oil for baking
1. Wrap tofu in a clean towel as well as established something heavy on top – like a cast-iron skillet – to extract liquid for 10-15 minutes. Likewise, preheat stove to 400 levels F (204 C).
2. Once pressed, diced tofu as well as contributes to a mixer together with sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flake, ground mustard, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, garlic powder, coconut sugar, ground anise, and A1 sauce/liquid smoke (optional). Mix/pulse to integrate, scratching down sides as required.
3. Sample as well as adjust seasonings as required, adding more salt for saltiness, red pepper flake for warm, paprika for smokiness, or coconut sugar for sweet taste.
Transfer the combination to a parchment-lined baking sheet (or more cooking sheets, as needed, if enhancing set size).
4. Lay a sheet of cling wrap or parchment paper ahead and also use your hands to spread right into an evenly slim layer concerning 1/4th – 1/8th inch thick (see photo). The even more also the layer is, a lot more equally it will bake Spray with a little nonstick spray or gently brush with a little oil to aid it crisp up.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, or up until golden brown and also slightly dried. Then use a little or moderate round cookie cutter to cut out “pepperonis” (see picture). Do not hesitate to maintain the scrap pieces also! They’re simply not as rather.
6. Now, the pepperonis prepare to add to a pizza, where they should bake at least another 10-15 minutes. Time as necessary based on the length of time your crust requires to bake. You’ll understand they prepare when they’re deep red in color and somewhat crisp to the touch.
7. If you do not want to include them to a pizza right now, just let them cool down, cover, and cool (approximately 4 days) or freeze (up to 1 month) for later usage. If frozen, allow thaw somewhat before including in the pizza to cook.